Pediatric Plastic Surgery

History of the South Florida Cleft and Craniofacial Clinic

The mission of our clinic is to assist patients and their families to provide a comprehensive cost effective multi-specialty treatment plan .

Our clinic was initiated in 1951 by a group of health care specialists whose primary goal was assisting families and their children who were born with cleft lip/palate. In the early 50’s during a study course conducted by the Dade County Research Clinic, a group of likely-minded dentists met with Dr. Cloyd Harkins who was an internationally known expert in the field of dental prosthesis and cleft palate. This group of dentists eventually invited a number of like minded specialists from medicine, pediatrics, plastic surgery and speech to provide further evaluation and management. Shortly thereafter, the Cleft and Craniofacial Clinic was formed at variety Children’s House to provide consulting services in diagnosis and planning of rehabilitation. The location since the inception remains the Mailman Center for Child Development which is an integral part of the University of Miami/ Jackson Memorial Hospital Medical Center complex. In 1954, the Soroptimist Club of Coral Gables, a service club for business and professional women was searching for a club project. This group can take some credit for helping to further organize and finance the clinic for an extended period of time. In 1959, the clinic was incorporated under the laws of the State of Florida, with a board of directors composed of community leaders. The location was eventually moved to the Mailman Center for Child Development which is an integral part of the University of Miami/ Jackson Memorial Hospital Medical Center complex. The clinic continued to develop and expand and in the 1960’s, the clinic was under the directorship of Dr. D. Ralph Millard who made many significant contributions to the field. In 1995, the clinic came under the auspices of the UM Department of Pediatrics and Genetics. Dr. Ron Haun continued to develop and expand the breadth of the clinic until his untimely death in (?). In 1997, the clinic celebrated with the first annual Picnic. Following this unfortunate event, the clinic came under the guidance of a number of pediatric specialists. Today it is directed by Dr. Stephanie Sacharow and continues go provide exceptional interdisciplinary care to our patients. We have enhanced our financial capabilities with two annual events: our 5 K Miles for Smiles run in June and Spreading Smiles in palm Beach in February. These fundraising events have culminated in our first annual Dr. Ron Haun lectureship by Dr. Ian Jackson.